The following are some resources to support your grassroots organizing for safe patient limits!
Here is petition to support safe patient limits and join the Nurses of PA contact list:
- Click here to view the online petition at nursesofpa.org/petition.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to share your ideas, ask questions, and help organizing events in your area!
- Check out our 6 Step Guide to Meet Your Legislator here!
- Share your story. Our most powerful tool we have as nurses is to share our stories about why this matters with each other, with the public, and with politicians. It’s time to break the silence. If you want to help contribute nurse stories for our emails, social media, or other public outreach, you can email us at email@example.com to send us letters, videos, whatever you want people to know about why safe patient limits is important to you (just don’t violate HIPAA or talk about your employer specifically!).
Safe Patient Limits for Nursing Homes:
- Nursing home and hospitals are regulated differently under the law, so our path to safe patient limits will look different! We took a lot of time to figure out the best policy path to safe patient limits in nursing homes, and we have just launched our campaign, so we’ll be working on developing more resources on this fight to fill out this section.
- Our eight page lobby visit packet with tools for you and materials to give to legislators has the demands we have for nursing home staffing, what we’re asking them to do, who we are, and evidence on why safe patient limits will work and save lives. Click here to download and print the lobby visit packet.
- Our petition also now has our demands for staffing in nursing homes which you can read, sign, and share here.
Safe Patient Limits for Hospitals:
- Click here to see House Bill 867.
- Click here to see Senate Bill 450.
- Our eight page lobby visit packet with tools for you and materials to give to legislators has the bill numbers, what we’re asking for, who we are, and evidence on why safe patient limits will work and save lives. Click here to download and print the lobby visit packet.
- Use our Legislative Tracker to see where your legislator stands on safe patient limits, and the contact information for their offices.
This graphic shows the safe patient limits that House Bill 867 / Senate Bill 450 that the bill would set for hospitals:
- Here’s our 2016 Breaking Point Report, which surveyed 1,000 Pennsylvania nurses on the state of staffing, burnout, and turnover in Pennsylvania, and found based on Pennsylvania Department of Labor reports, our survey, and nursing school graduation trends that Pennsylvania does not have a nursing shortage. We have a shortage of nurses willing work under current conditions.
- Here’s a two-page summary of some of the research on the link between staffing ratios, patient mortality, costs, and the nursing workforce.
- Here’s an extensive list of research resources from NursesTakeDC.