Our Plan to Win Safe Patient Limits for PA
On November 6th, 90% of all state legislators in PA are up for re-election. 1 in 50 people in PA is a nurse: right now, legislators and candidates need us. This is the best time to win their support for safe staffing ratio laws.
Elect candidates who support safe patient limits on November 6th
- Nurses all across Pennsylvania Sign the Safe Patient Limits Voter Pledge, committing to vote based on which candidates support safe patient limits and will fight with us to pass the legislation.
- We tell nurse voters by phone, mail, ads: which candidates support patient limits, which candidates have gone above and beyond for safe patient limits, and which candidates do not support safe patient limits.
- We phone bank and canvass to talk to as many nurses as possible in key districts where candidates who’ll lead the fight for safe patient limits face a challenger in a close race who won’t lead the fight for safe patient limits.
Hold elected officials to their commitments
- We deliver the Safe Patient Limits Voter Pledges to our elected officials after the election, to let them know who elected them and why—Nurses who stand for safe patient limits.
- We work with champions for Safe Patient Limits to reintroduce the legislation in 2019.
- We hold all elected officials who pledged to their commitments, and continue to lobby and pressure all those who didn’t, to get the legislation out of committee and to a full vote in the House and Senate.
Are you a safe patient limits voter?
Contribute to the Safe Staffing Fighting Fund:
Sign the petition for safe patient limits
Find more research supporting safe patients and resources about the legislation:
Why Nurses are Coming Together
Breaking Point: Pennsylvania’s Patient Care Crisis
We surveyed 1,000 nurses who work in hospitals, schools, rehabilitation facilities, long-term care and more — from Scranton to Erie to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia — and the results show a clear crisis in patient care with nurses spending less time at the bedside, chronic understaffing, and high turnover.
About Nurses of Pennsylvania
Nurses of Pennsylvania is an organization of, by and for nurses focused on improving the beside care nurses provide. PA nurses work in cities and small towns, at large hospitals, in nursing homes and more – tied together by their commitment to their patients, their families and their communities. United for quality care, Nurses of Pennsylvania is focused on leading the state to a healthcare system that puts patients first.