COVID-19 SAFETY CHECKLIST FOR NURSES
Use this checklist to be sure your facility and your elected representatives are acting quickly on these best practices.
BEST CLINICAL PRACTICES AT EVERY FACILITY:
- Adequate PPE and training
- Tent/Outdoor Triage
- Isolation unit or 1 on 1 for confirmed or presumptive COVID patients
- Limit Access: no visitors, screen all staff, telemedicine where possible
- Frontline Nurse Committee in decision-making
- Daily reporting to front line staff on cases and availability of PPE
WORKPLACE POLICIES TO SUPPORT US:
- Caregivers prioritized for tests and treatment
- Relaxed attendance policies for childcare challenges or sickness
- Quarantine and furlough pay and benefits (separate from PTO)
- Adequate training for safe redeployment
- Safe assignments or paid leave for expecting mothers and immunocompromised staff
GOVERNMENT ACTION TO SAVE LIVES:
- Release national stockpiles and require manufacture of PPE
- Away-from-home housing to keep our families safe
- Safe childcare options
- Keep stay-at-home orders in place
Healthcare workers taking on a worldwide pandemic as heroes, and our communities want to support you. Help them understand what you’re going through and lift up the voices of nurses on the frontlines of the COVID-19 crisis.
Our government must take action to save lives. Together, we can call on them and tell them to do what’s needed to help nurses on the frontlines of this crisis give our patients the care they need while staying safe.